Tuesday, April 20

beating boxer

I'm not happy with the range of choices in the California Senate campaign against bonehead Barbara Boxer.

First, we've got Carly Fiorina, former HP CEO. She's a competent executive with real world business experience, which I like in a candidate, but she was fired and it continues to be a politically motivated controversy today.

Next, former Congressman Tom Campbell looks like a strong contender and leads the polls, but he's a tax hiker and that's not going to fly in the June Republican primary. A mailer landed in my box yesterday, with Tom's 12 year record of supporting income, sales, gas, Internet and carbon taxes. Oops.

Then there's Chuck DeVore. In a perfect world, DeVore would be my guy. I think he'd make an awesome Senator. From what I can tell, he's the only authentic Conservative in this group, but I don't think he can win. George Will likes him, but so what? If he can't beat Boxer, what's the point?

I'm supporting Fiorina because I think the gender thing helps.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gramma 2 Many said...

My neighbor, who is from Cali is supporting DeVore.
I do not know anything about Cali politics just see DeVore sticker on her car. With a bounce Boxer sticker too.

2:48 PM  
Blogger jason said...

Ronald Reagan pulled CA out of a pretty serious economic slump during his tenure as Governor. He, too, found it necessary to raise taxes but only did so as a last resort and in ways that ultimately helped the state and its people.

Tom Campbell doesn't "support" tax hikes, he is just realistic. That's a lot more than I can say for Carly Fiorina.

Besides, in a fight between Campbell and Boxer, i don't think taxes are going to sway the voters. Boxer has supported tax hikes in the past, too, so there's no leverage.

The simple fact is Tom Campbell is the only GOP contender who has the ability to beat Boxer. Next to supporting individual liberty and the Constitution, that matters most to me.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Kent said...

Realistically, I don't think there is ever an appropriate time to raise taxes.

If a Senator Campbell is going to side with Senate Democrats on raising taxes there's no difference between him and Boxer. And he won't take the no new taxes pledge, which is troubling for a Republican.

Thanks for stopping by, Jason.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright 2004-2013, RightFromLeft.blogspot.com. All Rights Reserved. All materials contained on this site are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without prior written permission. 0