Monday, May 10

elena kagan

“I first spoke with Justice Marshall in the summer of 1986, a few months after I had applied to him for a clerkship position. (It seems odd to call him Justice Marshall in these pages. My co-clerks and I called him ‘Judge’ or ‘Boss’ to his face, ‘TM’ behind his back; he called me, to my face and I imagine also behind my back, ‘Shorty.’) …
"In Justice Marshall's view, constitutional interpretation demanded, above all else, one thing from the courts: it demanded that the courts show a special solicitude for the despised and disadvantaged. It was the role of the courts, in interpreting the Constitution, to protect the people who went unprotected by every other organ of government -- to safeguard the interests of people who had no other champion.”

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaz said...

What do you think of Obama's new prospective choice for the U.S. Supreme Court??? Very strong resume and republicans are already bitching about her... I don't get it : ) -Scott

I have no problem. However, the banning of ROTC recruitment on college campuses is wrong, but not enough to hold up her confirmation. Obama picked her because she'd be a relatively trouble free appointment.-Jaz

Whats wrong is the military discriminating against any citizen .. lets keep things in perspective. she is not against the military recruiting on campus, just not on unjust terms. -Michael

I simply don't believe that college administrators should be applying thier own politically correct litmus test to the recruitment of military personel on college campuses. Joining the military is a legitimate career choice for young people whether or not liberals approve or disapprove of some of thier policies. Personally "don't ask don't tell" Personally "don't ask don't tell" doesn't seem like a good idea to me, but then again I'm not a member of the military and unlike some, I would hesitate to dictate to them how to run thier operation. -Jaz

Jaz, we're not talking about a simple difference of style, we are talking about a federal agency (the military) DISCRIMINATING against a segment of society, which incidentally, is part of the taxpaying citizenry. -Michael

The military also doesn't allow people who have very bad eyesight, take drugs, and are too old. I believe that the military should be the entity deciding for themselves who they imagine is qualified to serve and you don't. I don't believe in your brand of politically correct totalitarianism. I defer to the military on this whereas you would seek to impose your worldview on them. -Jaz

Nope, the military serves the people, not v/v. thats not totalitarianism, that's equality under the law. -Michael

3:58 AM  
Blogger Kent said...

Could be worse. But this seems like a Harriet Miers type of choice.

1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright 2004-2013, RightFromLeft.blogspot.com. All Rights Reserved. All materials contained on this site are protected by United States copyright law and may not be reproduced, transmitted, displayed, published or broadcast without prior written permission. 0